Saturday, March 17, 2012

Back at it...

I made some extra cash doing a little carpentry work back in January and blew it all in one place: cherry lumber from Craigslist.  I got about 220 board feet for $450...not too shabby.  It had been poorly stored and a lot of it was pretty severely cupped and warped.  Not a big deal though...it was 5/4 lumber, so much thicker than I needed.  Home Depot just happened to have 13" Delta planer blades on sale for 50% off...perfect timing; in the end I got a lot of good wood out of it.

The plan is to make some nice bookcases out of it.  The one I'm working on now will have a cabinet on the bottom and then some shelves on top of it.  So far the casework for the bottom is coming together nicely:

This is only a dry fit...gaps between joints will be closed during the glue up.

The interior contains a single shelf:

The top is joined to the sides with hidden (full-blind) dovetails:
This is the first time I've tried this joint and I'm pretty pleased with it.  The great thing is that it only has to be functional...the tails and sockets don't actually have to look good because they'll never be seen.

The frame for the doors has a tongue running around the outside of it:

The tongues fits into a groove running around the inside of the case:
This method allows easy alignment of the frame within the case with a consistent offset from the front edge.

The bottom is also dovetailed to the sides, but very differently:
This is just a quick and simple joint that will keep the bottom from falling out if it's ever picked up.  The exterior of the joint will eventually have a run of molding around it, so it won't be seen either.

The panels for the doors were resawn from a single board--resawn on a new bandsaw, but that will be another entry.  I would've liked to have had the panels symmetrical (book-matched), but with book-matching the grain ends up running in opposite directions.  This isn't normally a big deal but in this case the grain of the panels was somewhat iridescent and changed color at different angles.  So had I book-matched them, they would've always been different colors.  With one of them flipped vertically, the colors match.

The next steps will be ship-lapping some planks on the back, making some molding, and making feet for it.  Should be some new techniques, so I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. Download over 16,000 WOODWORKING Plans at here
    http://woodworkingplanspro.weebly.com/
    Woodworking guide offers anyone of any skill level the ability to build amazing projects. The guide is extra helpful because it offers more detailed explanations, videos and blueprints then your typical woodworker magazine.
    Arbor Projects ,
    Adirondack Chairs ,
    Artwork Display ,
    Bathroom Unit ,
    Box Designs ,
    Billiard/Pool Table ,
    Barn Plans ,
    Bed Plans ,
    Bedside Cabinets ,
    Bee Hive Plans ,
    Bench Projects ,
    Bird Feeders ,
    Birdhouse Plans ,
    Boat Plans ,
    Book Case Plans ,
    Baby Changing Table ,
    Coat Rack ,
    Cabin Plans ,
    Cabinet Plans ,
    Carport Plans ,
    Cart Plans ,
    Cat House Plans ,
    CD/DVD Holder ,
    Cellar Projects ,
    Chair Plans ,
    Chest Designs ,
    Chicken Houses
    Childrens Room Plans ,
    Clock Plans ,
    Coasters ,
    Coffee Table Designs ,
    Cold Frame Plans ,
    Compost Bin ,
    Computer Desk ,
    Containers ,
    Cradle Projects ,
    Small Crafts ,
    Cutting Board ,
    Deck Plans ..
    Hope it will help you next time !

    ReplyDelete