I made it out of scrap wood left over from the benchtop. The wood itself is soft, I drilled the holes sloppily, and it's a little thin. All of these factors led to a really flexy vise with a lot of slop.
Along with the walnut and maple that I used for the bookcase, I also picked up a grab bag of scrap cutoffs from Peachtree Lumber. One of the real gems in it was this:
The sloppy drilling on the original vise jaw was the result of the vise not coming with a template to help layout exactly where the holes go. I sort of eyeballed it. I thought of a better solution this time:
Now that's a vise!
Here's a closeup of the beautiful grain of the poplar:
I'm probably going to do a little surgery on the actual bench itself to make it even a little more rigid, but that will be another day.
In the last post I mentioned my affinity for Bosch tools. Well, apparently someone at Bosch is paying attention because immediately a free Bosch plunge-cut blade for my oscillating tool showed up in the mail. I'm not kidding.